tell me how to do this right (mail sent to lists)

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Wed Oct 10 12:03:13 PDT 2018

Jeff Templon <templon at nikhef.nl> writes:

> Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:
>
>> I guess the question I have is: What has given you the idea that afew is
>> tagging one message but not the other?
>
> Well, this:
>
> medina:~> notmuch search --output=files id:m25zyb89im.fsf at simeto.nikhef.nl
> /Users/templon/Maildir/Nikhef/Sent/cur/1539098270.M625625000P91131Q71R9d5148db.dhcp-134-239.nikhef.nl:2,S
> /Users/templon/Maildir/Nikhef/Unclassified Bulk/cur/1539098271.M415561000P91131Q113R5b534386.dhcp-134-239.nikhef.nl:2,
>
> medina:~> notmuch search --output=tags id:m25zyb89im.fsf at simeto.nikhef.nl
> sent
>
> So the one in "Sent" is, well, sent :-) The other one (Unclassified
> Bulk) is the one from the list.  There are no list-associated tags.
> Hence my conclusion is that notmuch and/or afew encounters first the
> sent copy (maybe because S comes before U?) and tags it, then, when
> encountering the second file while processing, says in essence "oh i
> already have this message ID - skip".

The tag is not associated with the file in Sent, it is associated
with the message-id.

Searching currently for words in the subject of either copy of the
message should work, so you should be able to tag the message(-id) as
you like. I can't help with afew, but if you have an example that
doesn't work on the command line, I'm interested. Display of such
messages (and threads) is still less than ideal as it still essentially
choose an arbitrary file with that message-id.