tell me how to do this right (mail sent to lists)

Jeff Templon templon at nikhef.nl
Wed Oct 10 00:16:13 PDT 2018

Hi,

Thanks again for the answers.

Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:

> If the two messages have the same message ID, then as far as notmuch is
> concerned that is just a single message, (that happens to be backed by
> multiple files).

OK.

> You're certainly not the only one. Hopefully, what you really want
> doesn't require the ability to maintain separate tags for these two
> very-similar messages, (since notmuch cannot do that currently).

I wasn't clear - I don't need different tags.  I do want the
list-associated tags, even if it only shows me the "sent copy".

> I guess the question I have is: What has given you the idea that afew is
> tagging one message but not the other?

Well, this:

medina:~> notmuch search --output=files id:m25zyb89im.fsf at simeto.nikhef.nl
/Users/templon/Maildir/Nikhef/Sent/cur/1539098270.M625625000P91131Q71R9d5148db.dhcp-134-239.nikhef.nl:2,S
/Users/templon/Maildir/Nikhef/Unclassified Bulk/cur/1539098271.M415561000P91131Q113R5b534386.dhcp-134-239.nikhef.nl:2,

medina:~> notmuch search --output=tags id:m25zyb89im.fsf at simeto.nikhef.nl
sent

So the one in "Sent" is, well, sent :-) The other one (Unclassified
Bulk) is the one from the list.  There are no list-associated tags.
Hence my conclusion is that notmuch and/or afew encounters first the
sent copy (maybe because S comes before U?) and tags it, then, when
encountering the second file while processing, says in essence "oh i
already have this message ID - skip".

JT