Github?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:00:46 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 11:21:00PM +0200, guyzmo wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 10:30:19PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 01:14:51PM -0700, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
> > > On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Wael Nasreddine
> > > <wael.nasreddine at gmail.com>wrote:
> [...]
> > > Can you guys at least consider splitting contrib/ and bindings/ into their
> > > own repo? It will make it easier for people to use the go bindings (for
> > > example) or to include the vim plugin as a submodule (or Vundle bundle).
> >
> > What is the problem if contrib and bindings are part of the main repo?
> > In fact I would argue it is undesirable to split them.  If there are
> > major changes in libnotmuch, or the cli, it is much easier to make the
> > corresponding changes in bindings to keep everything working.  If there
> > is a separate repo, communicating this dependency, although not
> > impossible, is difficult.  I would also like to point out almost all
> > FOSS projects I follow, or contribute to practises this.
>
>     do you know about git submodules? It's actually there to be  able to
> track changes on remote repositories  that  are  closely  related, while
> keeping a sane separation.

I do, hence the "although not impossible".  It's still adding complexity
that is not needed for something like language bindings.

What is so hard to package them when part of the project repo?  In fact,
I package notmuch along with its python bindings and a few utilities
from contrib for Fedora[1].  The default Fedora packages are horribly
outdated.  One of my TODOs is to also package the ruby bindings, and
notmuch-vim.  The only thing preventing me now is my unfamiliarty with
ruby, and Fedora packaging guidelines for ruby-gems.

Footnotes:

[1] http://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/fatka/notmuch/fedora-20-x86_64/notmuch-0.18-5.20140506.git.8ecc7db3.fc20/

--
Suvayu