Submodules for language bindings (was: Github?)

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Thu May 8 15:29:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 12:00:46AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> One of my TODOs is to also package the ruby bindings, and
> notmuch-vim.  The only thing preventing me now is my unfamiliarty
> with ruby, and Fedora packaging guidelines for ruby-gems.

I think this is one argument argument in favor of submodules, because
they make it easy to treat the bindings as separate packages.  Once
you have separate packages, it's easy to delegate packaging (e.g. “I
don't use the Ruby bindings, so I'm not going to maintain the
Ruby-binding package.  I'll leave that to Alice, who likes Ruby, but
is less familiar with $distro's Python packaging”).

Of course, you can have separate binding packages (if you like)
without having separate per-binding repositories (or branches).  I
personally like the looser coupling of submodules (and the ability to
easily delegate maintainer-ship), but I don't see any notmuch-binding
work in my future, so I don't mind either way.  Consider this an “I
like submodules for this sort of thing” post more than a “notmuch
should use submodules” post ;).

Cheers,
Trevor