Github?

Wael M. Nasreddine wael.nasreddine at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:14:51 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Wael Nasreddine
<wael.nasreddine at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I didn't see the previous email about it, thank you Jani for the link. It
> looks like you guys have your hands full and everything setup the way you
> like it, so here's what I'll do myself (if it's acceptable with you,
> otherwise I'll just remove everything):
>
> - Revert my changes (except for the CI)
> - Set a cron job to update the mirror hourly for the Github user wanting
> to fork.
> - Remove the Issues, Pull Request and the Wiki
> - Add a "mirror of .." to the description on top of the page
> - Manually update the contrib/ bindings/ as they change in here and maybe
> automate it later.

Can you guys at least consider splitting contrib/ and bindings/ into their
own repo? It will make it easier for people to use the go bindings (for
example) or to include the vim plugin as a submodule (or Vundle bundle).

> For the automatic pusher, I'll have to skip the README changes.
>
> Wael
>

> On Thu May 08 2014 at 3:16:29 AM, Guyzmo <guyzmo+notmuch at m0g.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:40:45AM +0100, Eric wrote:
>> wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Exactly!
>>
>> it feels like there's an echo in the room ;-)

>> binding/
>> > Me too! I am just a (happy) user here, but I do know that the sort
>> > of confusion that might arise can work against acceptance of a piece
>> > of software. I think that doing this without waiting for feedback,
>> > especially from the people who do most of the work on notmuch, is
>> > somewhat high-handed.
>>
>>     well, because of git's fundamental feature to be distributed,  I see
>> no reason why notmuch couldn't have a *mirror* on github, as well  as on
>> gitorious or bitbucket. As long as the description says explicitly:
>>
>> *mirror of the http://git.notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch repository*
>>
>>     and that the README.md starts by giving where the official  repo is,
>> and explains how to submit patches. And *always* refuse to merge in pull
>> requests. A good thing would be to have it  automatically  kept  in sync
>> with the original repository, and a nice way to do it would be to create
>> a post-receive hook on the principal repository.
>>
>>     As a nice  side  effect  of  doing  this,  we'll  stop  having users
>> complain  about  "not  being  on  github"...  Even  though  they  should
>> understand that this is github that has a design flaw not being  able to
>> track forks coming from outside of github, or getting out of github.
>>
>> my 2 cents,
>>
>> --
>> Guyzmo

Wael Nasreddine | Software Engineer |  wael.nasreddine at gmail.com |  (650)