Github?

Guyzmo guyzmo+notmuch at m0g.net
Thu May 8 03:13:25 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:40:45AM +0100, Eric wrote:
> On Thu, 08 May 2014 09:13:56 +0200, Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 May 2014, Wael Nasreddine <wael.nasreddine at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> >> Any thoughts on moving to Github?
> > http://mid.gmane.org/87wqea7c37.fsf@nikula.org
> Exactly!

it feels like there's an echo in the room ;-)

> >> I took the liberty of making the first move by
> >> creating https://github.com/notmuch and splitting the contrib/ and binding/
> >> into their own repository (conserving all their history).
> > I am concerned people will mistake that for the official notmuch
> > repository.
> Me too! I am just a (happy) user here, but I do know that the sort
> of confusion that might arise can work against acceptance of a piece
> of software. I think that doing this without waiting for feedback,
> especially from the people who do most of the work on notmuch, is
> somewhat high-handed.

    well, because of git's fundamental feature to be distributed,  I see
no reason why notmuch couldn't have a *mirror* on github, as well  as on
gitorious or bitbucket. As long as the description says explicitly:

*mirror of the http://git.notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch repository*

    and that the README.md starts by giving where the official  repo is,
and explains how to submit patches. And *always* refuse to merge in pull
requests. A good thing would be to have it  automatically  kept  in sync
with the original repository, and a nice way to do it would be to create
a post-receive hook on the principal repository.

    As a nice  side  effect  of  doing  this,  we'll  stop  having users
complain  about  "not  being  on  github"...  Even  though  they  should
understand that this is github that has a design flaw not being  able to
track forks coming from outside of github, or getting out of github.

my 2 cents,

--
Guyzmo