Inline-encryption, encryption failure when storing sent mails

Simon Hirscher public at simonhirscher.de
Mon Aug 12 09:57:21 PDT 2013

Hey there,

I'm quite new to notmuch and have two questions regarding the state of
mail encryption:

1. Support for inline-encryption
As far as I can see, so far only encrypted mails with PGP/MIME are
supported. Couldn't notmuch also support text/plain messages that
contain PGP-encrypted messages by scanning for "^-----BEGIN\ PGP\
(SIGNED\ )?MESSAGE"? – as suggested in a previous message to this
mailing list (id:87zl3az8mm.fsf at lillypad.riseup.net; web view:
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/001542.html). The reason
why I think it is necessary to support inline-encrypted messages is
that e.g. Thunderbird defaults to text/plain instead of PGP/MIME.

2. This is not necessarily related to notmuch itself but rather to
message-mode: Why are the mails that are fcc'ed to my sent-folder
encrypted with the recipient's key (instead of my own or simply no
key)? I.e. why can't I read my own mails? Is there any way to make
this work?

Thanks for your help,

Simon