Inline-encryption, encryption failure when storing sent mails

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Aug 16 01:02:27 PDT 2013

Simon Hirscher <public at simonhirscher.de> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm quite new to notmuch and have two questions regarding the state of
> mail encryption:
>
> 1. Support for inline-encryption As far as I can see, so far only
> encrypted mails with PGP/MIME are supported. Couldn't notmuch also
> support text/plain messages that contain PGP-encrypted messages by
> scanning for "^-----BEGIN\ PGP\ (SIGNED\ )?MESSAGE"? – as suggested in
> a previous message to this mailing list
> (id:87zl3az8mm.fsf at lillypad.riseup.net; web view:

If someone feels inspired to work on this, maybe

   notmuch-wash-convert-inline-patch-to-part

(in notmuch-watch.el) might be a reasonable place to start.

> 2. This is not necessarily related to notmuch itself but rather to
> message-mode: Why are the mails that are fcc'ed to my sent-folder
> encrypted with the recipient's key (instead of my own or simply no
> key)? I.e. why can't I read my own mails? Is there any way to make
> this work?

What about setting this on the gpg level with the "encrypt-to" option?
Setting the emacs variable mml2015-encrypt-to-self seems like it ought
to work, but it seems to need some other settings as well. Perhaps have
a look at the customization group 'mime-security'.