gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Michal Nazarewicz mina86 at mina86.com
Tue Nov 27 12:01:48 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27 2012, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I saw on the offlineimap mailing list, that somebody is using this approach
> (x-header) to sync the gmail labels and to use them in his email client -
> so I thought, why not read them as tags into notmuch and sync tgs back, so
> one would have a sync between notmuch tags and gmail labels. But there was
> some objections and it was questioned why offlineimap for this, and not
> notmuch - and frankly, I don't hava any preferences. If it is i[plemented
> in offlineimap and notmuch uses it, fine with me. If offlineimap stays as
> it is and notmuch reads the labels directly, absolutely no problem. I am
> merely intersted in the outcome - sync of notmuch tags with gmail labels -
> whatever the path is.

Ah, OK.

I just want to say that having notmuch communicate with Gmail is
terrible idea, since this would mean duplicating of jobs that
offlineimap and notmuch do.

I could see some *other* tool, besides notmuch and offlineimap, which
connects to Gmail to fetch the tags, but that would again duplicate
a lot of the code from offlineimap.

I think that communicating with the server should be left to
offlineimap (or whatever other method one uses), and indexing should be
left to notmuch.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o