gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:32:07 PST 2012

On 27 November 2012 20:24, Michal Nazarewicz <mina86 at mina86.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27 2012, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Yes - offlineimap is not needed actually, but I personally I see
> > notmuch as an indexing / tagging program for a mailabox in maildir
> > format, which means local. So all changes are done locally, and not
> > bad on an imap server (or synching tags with an imap server). This
> > would be the job for offlineimap.  But actually I don't care which
> > program is doing it.
>
> I'm actually completely lost now, since I've realised you're also OP,
> and it was my understanding that you proposed to use offlineimap to get
> the tags, save them in the X-something header, and make notmuch index
> those.  But now you're saying that offlineimap is not needed?  I must be
> missing something.

I saw on the offlineimap mailing list, that somebody is using this approach
(x-header) to sync the gmail labels and to use them in his email client -
so I thought, why not read them as tags into notmuch and sync tgs back, so
one would have a sync between notmuch tags and gmail labels. But there was
some objections and it was questioned why offlineimap for this, and not
notmuch - and frankly, I don't hava any preferences. If it is i[plemented
in offlineimap and notmuch uses it, fine with me. If offlineimap stays as
it is and notmuch reads the labels directly, absolutely no problem. I am
merely intersted in the outcome - sync of notmuch tags with gmail labels -
whatever the path is.

> > Well - it is ust my feeling that the lesser changes are done to the
> > email and its headers, the better.
>
> Sure, but I don't think it's such a big issue, as it may be presented.
> If there was some better, not much more difficult, option, than sure,
> but otherwise, I think it's a good solution.
>

> --
> Best regards,                                         _     _
> .o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o
> ..o | Computer Science,  Michał “mina86” Nazarewicz    (o o)
> ooo +----<email/xmpp: mpn at google.com>--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa