gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:32:15 PST 2012

On 27/11/12 21:01, Michal Nazarewicz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27 2012, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> I saw on the offlineimap mailing list, that somebody is using this approach (x-header) to
>> sync the gmail labels and to use them in his email client - so I thought, why not read them
>> as tags into notmuch and sync tgs back, so one would have a sync between notmuch tags and
>> gmail labels. But there was some objections and it was questioned why offlineimap for this,
>> and not notmuch - and frankly, I don't hava any preferences. If it is i[plemented in
>> offlineimap and notmuch uses it, fine with me. If offlineimap stays as it is and notmuch
>> reads the labels directly, absolutely no problem. I am merely intersted in the outcome - sync
>> of notmuch tags with gmail labels - whatever the path is.
>
> Ah, OK.
>
> I just want to say that having notmuch communicate with Gmail is terrible idea, since this
> would mean duplicating of jobs that offlineimap and notmuch do.

My sentiments, notmuch is doing realy good what it is doing, and adding gmail / other server
communication is not the best idea.

> I could see some *other* tool, besides notmuch and offlineimap, which connects to Gmail to
> fetch the tags, but that would again duplicate a lot of the code from offlineimap.

I also agree here - offlineimap already has a repository type Gmail, and if gmails imap
extensions, particularly
https://developers.google.com/google-apps/gmail/imap_extensions#access_to_gmail_labels_x-gm-labels
is used, it should be not to difficult to read the labels and to store them in e.g. a sqlite
database for each message id. This could then be written back as well, and only the [GMAIL] folder
would have to be synchronised, i.e. no duplication.

> I think that communicating with the server should be left to offlineimap (or whatever other
> method one uses), and indexing should be left to notmuch.

agree here as well. Will approach the offlineimap comuity about this again.

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44