gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:21:43 PST 2012

On 26/11/12 18:49, David Bremner wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Adding a layer to communicate with a remote server (gmail in this case) would defy the
>> purpose of having notmuch. In my opinion, Synching from gmail to local maildir should be done
>> by another tool, and this synching includes the synching of the gmail labels.
>
> Well, the labels need to be synched with the notmuch database so the choice is between "extend
> notmuch + use offline imap" or "extend notmuch in a different way".  It's true that
> re-inventing (a specialized version of) offline imap seems less than ideal.

So from your point of view - what would be the best / most consistent approach with gmail? Sync
All Mail folder (and Inbox) with offlineimap and sync the label information via notmuch? Would
definitely seem to make sense, as it deals with labels on the gmail side which is nothing
different to tags in notmuch.
But then this would have to be a kind of tag-sync with gmail.

> In the wild speculation department, since the feature is still in development on the the
> offlineimap side, maybe offlineimap can be convinced to work with a kind of sidecar file
> containing tag information.  I think people have speculated about serializing the notmuch
> database in (something like) that way before.

As I understand it, the person who implemented it as a patch uses mu / mue and there it works with
the X-headers approach, so I think he will stick with it.

But I definitely share your concerns about modifying the emails itself.

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44