gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Nov 26 09:49:35 PST 2012

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com> writes:

> Adding a layer to communicate with a remote server (gmail in this
> case) would defy the purpose of having notmuch. In my opinion,
> Synching from gmail to local maildir should be done by another tool,
> and this synching includes the synching of the gmail labels.

Well, the labels need to be synched with the notmuch database so the
choice is between "extend notmuch + use offline imap" or "extend notmuch
in a different way".  It's true that re-inventing (a specialized version
of) offline imap seems less than ideal.

In the wild speculation department, since the feature is still in
development on the the offlineimap side, maybe offlineimap can be
convinced to work with a kind of sidecar file containing tag
information.  I think people have speculated about serializing the
notmuch database in (something like) that way before.