gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:13:31 PST 2012

On 26/11/12 15:44, David Bremner wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> there is a patch available for synching gmail labels to X-Keywords in the message (full
>> thread see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5943 ).
>>
>> Would notmuch be able to translate these X-Keywords into tags, so that one could use notmuch
>> and it's tags as gmail uses the labels?
>
> Reading tags from X-Keywords would be a Simple Matter of Programming (TM), although you'd have
> to be sure you could trust that header as injected by you and not some evil adversary.  There
> would also be some questions about forwarding such messages (e.g. should the X-Labels be
> stripped when forwarding).

Good points - haven't considered them yet.

> I expect there would be some resistance to writing X-Labels back to message files, since having
> read-only message files is more or less a design goal.

That I definitely agree and  don't like that much.

> In summary, it could probably be done, but I'm not sure it would be a better approach than
> interfacing directly with gmail via their extended IMAP interface.  Personally, if I was
> interested in solving this problem, I'd be more interested in a solution that didn't wed me to
> offline imap, if the two solutions were in the same rough ballpark of effort. The direct method
> would also not modify mail messages. Still, others might feel differently.

But wouldn't this go above notmuch as an email tagging and indexing tool? OK - from emacs one can
send emails and it is a fully fledged email client, but it does *only interact* with the maildir
and it's tag database. Adding a layer to communicate with a remote server (gmail in this case)
would defy the purpose of having notmuch. In my opinion, Synching from gmail to local maildir
should be done by another tool, and this synching includes the synching of the gmail labels.

Cheers,

Rainer

> The notion of storing labels in messages has been mooted before as a general synching solution.
> That might make it more interesting to me.

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44