[announce] Bower 0.4

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 07:37:35 PDT 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:40:23 +0200, David Froger <david.froger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi David,

> Thanks Peter, nice to see this new release and these new functionnalies!
>
> I'm using bower every day, both at home and at work, and it's really usefull for
> me.
>
> By the way, I have some questions:
>
> 1. To receive emails, I use a bash script that basically do:
>
>     while true
>     do
>         offlineimap
>         notmuch new
>         notmuch tag ...
>         sleep 60
>     done
>
> Would it be possible to have a hook 'pollmails' that is triggered from the Index
> view by pressing a key (p or P), which can be configure in ~/.config/bower/bower.conf
> like this:
> pollmails=a_command.sh

Basically, run an arbitrary command when a key is pressed.  It would
be fairly easy to add, but I wonder if it would be easy to stop adding
more :-)  You could bind a shortcut key to your window manager or
desktop environment that runs the command instead.

> 2. I've notice that errors could happend if I modify tags from bower while my
> bash script is also modifiny tags of the incoming emails. Do you see any
> solution?

The asynchronous tagging will retry after 5 seconds.  The notmuch error
message will show and mess up your screen (press ^L), which I would like
to fix somehow.  Ultimately, I think notmuch should handle this more
gracefully.

> 3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
> http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).

I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.

> 4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
> 'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
> message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?

The postponed message should be in Maildir/Drafts.  Can you see it with
`notmuch search tag:draft'?

> 5. When attaching a file, would it be possible to have '~' expanded to the $HOME directory?

Sure.

> 6. In the index view, having the possiblity to scroll right and left (so one can
> see the email tags in the line in too long)?

I'm not sure that's a great solution.  Maybe have a key that popups up
an info box, which would have enough room to show the whole subject
line, the list of authors and the tags?

> 7. less important, having light colors for white console?

Maybe :-)

Peter