[announce] Bower 0.4

David Froger david.froger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:40:23 PDT 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:22:58 +1000, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bower is yet another curses frontend for the Notmuch email system.
> I wrote it for me, but you might like it, too.
>
> 	https://github.com/wangp/bower
>
> Bower 0.4 (2012-08-12)
> ======================
> This release requires notmuch 0.13 for addressbook completion.
>
> * Asynchronous tagging and polling in index view.
> * Highlight diff lines in quoted text.
> * Context-aware completion for tag names.
> * Completion for addressbook aliases.
> * post_sendmail configuration option.
> * Support Up/Down/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys in more views.
> * Better resize handling.
> * Improved URL detection.
> * Don't expand HTML alternative parts unnecessarily.

Hi,

Thanks Peter, nice to see this new release and these new functionnalies!

I'm using bower every day, both at home and at work, and it's really usefull for
me.

By the way, I have some questions:

1. To receive emails, I use a bash script that basically do:

    while true
    do
        offlineimap
        notmuch new
        notmuch tag ...
        sleep 60
    done

Would it be possible to have a hook 'pollmails' that is triggered from the Index
view by pressing a key (p or P), which can be configure in ~/.config/bower/bower.conf
like this:
pollmails=a_command.sh

So I can rewrite my bash script something like this:

    while true
    do
        offlineimap
        notmuch new
        notmuch tag ...

        before_enter_loop = `current date`

        while true
        do
           sleep 0.01
           now = `current date`
           if [ 'a_commmand.sh' has been called
                  or now > before_enter_loop + 60 seconds ]
           then
               exit loop
           fi
        done
    done

2. I've notice that errors could happend if I modify tags from bower while my
bash script is also modifiny tags of the incoming emails. Do you see any
solution?

3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).

4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?

5. When attaching a file, would it be possible to have '~' expanded to the $HOME directory?

6. In the index view, having the possiblity to scroll right and left (so one can
see the email tags in the line in too long)?

7. less important, having light colors for white console?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

David