Incorrect parsing of email addresses (MIME with quotes)

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Tue Nov 22 15:30:34 PST 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:38:57 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> I just hope the notmuch developers can choose to follow the robustness
> principle[1] in this case, and be liberal in what notmuch accept, and
> conservative in what notmuch send.  After all, gnus, mutt and pine
> handle these from fields.

It's a nice stick to beat people with, but I'm not sure it's directly
applicable here. Notmuch is accepting the input, it just isn't
displaying it the way you want. I guess if somebody has some patches for
"sloppy header parsing", we can weigh the pros and cons then.

If someone wants to follow up on this, we are currently using

http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/doc/gmime-gmime-utils.html#g-mime-utils-header-decode-text

There is some discussion there about dealing with bad inputs; I don't
know if it is directly relevant.