Incorrect parsing of email addresses (MIME with quotes)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Nov 21 04:38:57 PST 2011

[Daniel Kahn Gillmor]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047#page-8
>
> states quite clearly:
>
>    + An 'encoded-word' MUST NOT appear within a 'quoted-string'.
>
> I'd argue that notmuch is doing the right thing here, and that MUAs that
> wrap encoded words in quotes (or that apply decoding rules within quoted
> strings) are the ones that need fixing.

Well, feel free to spend time on trying to get the other mail programs
changed.  I do not have the privilege to give that project a priority
myself.

I just hope the notmuch developers can choose to follow the robustness
principle[1] in this case, and be liberal in what notmuch accept, and
conservative in what notmuch send.  After all, gnus, mutt and pine
handle these from fields.

 1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle
--
Happy hacking,