Incorrect parsing of email addresses (MIME with quotes)

Austin Clements amdragon at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 22 18:58:53 PST 2011

Quoth David Bremner on Nov 22 at  7:30 pm:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:38:57 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> > I just hope the notmuch developers can choose to follow the robustness
> > principle[1] in this case, and be liberal in what notmuch accept, and
> > conservative in what notmuch send.  After all, gnus, mutt and pine
> > handle these from fields.
>
> It's a nice stick to beat people with, but I'm not sure it's directly
> applicable here. Notmuch is accepting the input, it just isn't
> displaying it the way you want. I guess if somebody has some patches for
> "sloppy header parsing", we can weigh the pros and cons then.
>
> If someone wants to follow up on this, we are currently using
>
> http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/doc/gmime-gmime-utils.html#g-mime-utils-header-decode-text
>
> There is some discussion there about dealing with bad inputs; I don't
> know if it is directly relevant.

Based on
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mime.gmime.devel/65
I thought gmime was supposed to be dealing with broken RFC 2047
encoding now.  Am I misinterpreting it?  Maybe a bug needs to be filed
against gmime?