problems with multipart/mixed

Dirk Hohndel hohndel at infradead.org
Tue May 24 14:01:35 PDT 2011

Pulled the latest. Fixes the reply issue - but frequently gets emacs to
dump core. Looking at the backtrace reminds me why I hate emace some
times :-) - it appears to happen in a memmove - but everything else in
the backtrave is useless

Not an improvement.

/D

On Tue, 24 May 2011 12:50:20 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> On Mon, 23 May 2011 19:46:41 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> > Hehe, as the reply below shows... there's still something screwy even
> > with the latest git version... in multipart messages things just go
> > wrong. Whether I reply (this below should have included your text/plain
> > part as quote)
>
> You caught me again, on two points:
>
> 	1. Our multipart testing wasn't testing "notmuch reply"
>
> 	2. I wasn't actually running the latest code in my own use
>
> I've addressed both of those problems, which made it easy to find and
> fix the segfault that was causing the missing data in the reply
> buffer. I will hopefully be in a good habit now of creating a Debian
> package and installing and using it locally as part of my testing of
> major changes.
>
> Meanwhile, I did just push Jameson's recent new-show-part branch (along
> with some updates from me). This should complete the big upheaval of
> changes to how multipart messages are handled. From here, Jameson will
> rebase his crypto branch so we can verify signatures and decrypt
> messages within emacs.
>
> > or whether I try to see the html part of a text/plain +
> > text/html multipart message...
>
> This is an area where there have been some recent feature changes---and
> again, sadly, there's still some missing testing of the emacs features.
>
> The change I am seeing is that previously whenever a message had both a
> text/plain part and a corresponding text/html part (withing
> multipart/alternative), emacs would render both of them.
>
> Instead, I'm now seeing the text/plain part followed by:
>
> 	[ text/html (not shown) ]
>
> As far as that goes, this hiding of the HTML by default is exactly what
> I want. (If people don't want this, there's a
> notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative-parts variable that can be
> tweaked. Or just do "M-x customize-group notmuch" and find the setting
> there.)
>
> Meanwhile, I can imagine that some people might actually need to view
> the HTML part that's initially not shown. I just tried hitting 'V' on
> the "(not shown)" button and I got several image-viewer windows, each
> showing one of the contained images. That's not ideal---it would be
> better to get some web browser to display the entire message formatted
> correctly.
>
> Maybe that's just something I need to customize on my end, (though, if
> so, I think notmuch could do a better job arranging that for the user).
>
> So contributions would be welcome in this area, (both functional
> improvements to the emacs interface as well as additional testing of
> those emacs features).
>
> -Carl
>
> --
> carl.d.worth at intel.com
Non-text part: application/pgp-signature

--
Dirk Hohndel
Intel Open Source Technology Center