problems with multipart/mixed

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 24 12:50:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 19:46:41 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> Hehe, as the reply below shows... there's still something screwy even
> with the latest git version... in multipart messages things just go
> wrong. Whether I reply (this below should have included your text/plain
> part as quote)

You caught me again, on two points:

	1. Our multipart testing wasn't testing "notmuch reply"

	2. I wasn't actually running the latest code in my own use

I've addressed both of those problems, which made it easy to find and
fix the segfault that was causing the missing data in the reply
buffer. I will hopefully be in a good habit now of creating a Debian
package and installing and using it locally as part of my testing of
major changes.

Meanwhile, I did just push Jameson's recent new-show-part branch (along
with some updates from me). This should complete the big upheaval of
changes to how multipart messages are handled. From here, Jameson will
rebase his crypto branch so we can verify signatures and decrypt
messages within emacs.

> or whether I try to see the html part of a text/plain +
> text/html multipart message...

This is an area where there have been some recent feature changes---and
again, sadly, there's still some missing testing of the emacs features.

The change I am seeing is that previously whenever a message had both a
text/plain part and a corresponding text/html part (withing
multipart/alternative), emacs would render both of them.

Instead, I'm now seeing the text/plain part followed by:

	[ text/html (not shown) ]

As far as that goes, this hiding of the HTML by default is exactly what
I want. (If people don't want this, there's a
notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative-parts variable that can be
tweaked. Or just do "M-x customize-group notmuch" and find the setting
there.)

Meanwhile, I can imagine that some people might actually need to view
the HTML part that's initially not shown. I just tried hitting 'V' on
the "(not shown)" button and I got several image-viewer windows, each
showing one of the contained images. That's not ideal---it would be
better to get some web browser to display the entire message formatted
correctly.

Maybe that's just something I need to customize on my end, (though, if
so, I think notmuch could do a better job arranging that for the user).

So contributions would be welcome in this area, (both functional
improvements to the emacs interface as well as additional testing of
those emacs features).

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com