[notmuch] Notmuch doesn't index new mails

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 23 02:49:29 PST 2009

Hi all,

after setting up notmuch, initially indexing all my mail, and removing
the inbox and unread tags thereafter, now I recognize that notmuch
doesn't index new mail.

% notmuch new --verbose
No new mail---and that's not much.

I did check that there's really new mail.

In the man page, it is mentioned, that notmuch skips directories that
are read-only.  So now all my folders are "drwxrwxr-x mail mail", and I
am in the mail group.

But still, notmuch doesn't index new mails.

I assumed that the mail files also have to be writable.  So I changed
them to "-rw-rw-r-- mail mail", but still no luck.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Bye,
Tassilo