[notmuch] Notmuch doesn't index new mails when mail location contains symlinks (was: Notmuch doesn't index new mails)

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 23 05:55:40 PST 2009

Tassilo Horn <tassilo at member.fsf.org> writes:

Hi all,

I've investigated a bit further.

> [notmuch doesn't index new mails although all directories and files
> are readable and writable.]

In my config, I have:

[database]
path=/home/horn/Mail/Dovecot

In that directory, there are two symlinks pointing to the real mail
location in /var/spool/mail:

[horn at localhost][~/Mail/Dovecot][0][5213]
[:)] % ll
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 horn horn 34 Nov 23 14:49 fastmail -> /var/spool/mail/fastmail/mailboxes
lrwxrwxrwx 1 horn horn 29 Nov 23 14:49 uni -> /var/spool/mail/uni/mailboxes

Whenever I delete those symlinks and created them anew, the new mails
get indexed with the next "notmuch new".  Of course, I could create a
script that does exactly that, but there should be a better way, right?

Bye,
Tassilo