[python-cffi] Version number for the `notmuch2` bindings

Frank LENORMAND lenormf.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 02:35:17 PDT 2020

On Fri Jun 19 12:27:56 2020, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> On Thu 18 Jun 2020 at 16:56 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> > Frank LENORMAND <lenormf.ml at gmail.com> writes:
> >> The original Python bindings follow the entire repository's version
> >> number[1]. The new Python bindings use `0.1`[2].
> >>
> >> The Debian package[3] follows the same version number as well, but
> >> it's starting to confuse maintainers of packages for other environments
> >> (e.g. Pypi[4]), who use `0.1` because that's what's in the code.
> >
> > Floris might have some good reason in mind for the divergence. I will
> > say it's a pain in Debian to have different binary packages (.deb's)
> > built from the same source with different version numbers. So I'd need
> > to be convinced.
>
> There is no good reason, it was overlooked when merging the cffi
> bindings into notmuch proper.
>
> Is there any reason we can not directly read the toplevel version file
> from inside setup.py instead of having to add sed hackery?

Good to know!

The `notmuch` bindings use the following snippet:

```
  […]
  25 # get the notmuch version number without importing the notmuch module
  26 version_file = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),
  27                             'notmuch', 'version.py')
  28 exec(compile(open(version_file).read(), version_file, 'exec'))
  29 assert '__VERSION__' in globals(), \
  30     'Failed to read the notmuch binding version number'
  31
  32 setup(name='notmuch',
  33       version=__VERSION__,
  […]
```

I reckon copying/pasting the above in to the `notmuch2` bindings `setup.py`
file will work.

Regards,
--
Frank LENORMAND