Bug: ol-notmuch.el: calls `notmuch-show' with arbitrary search query

Sean Whitton spwhitton at spwhitton.name
Sat Feb 29 08:50:52 PST 2020

Hello David,

On Sun 01 Dec 2019 at 09:01PM +00, David Edmondson wrote:

> On Friday, 2019-11-29 at 13:01:00 -07, Sean Whitton wrote:
>
>> On Wed 27 Nov 2019 at 08:52PM +00, David Edmondson wrote:
>>> It's a lot to ask, I know, but if you could provide a specific set of
>>> messages with a corresponding initial query that fails for you after
>>> limiting using your function, it would be helpful.
>>
>> You should be able to download an mbox of the thread I was using for
>> testing here:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=945195;mbox=yes
>>
>> The Org-mode link I was using to open the thread is
>> [[notmuch:id:20191125214551.31596-1-dkg at fifthhorseman.net][dkg's v2 for S/MIME decryption]]
>
> This works exactly as I would expect with the patch I previously sent.
>
> I downloaded the messages, added them to my corpus and remove the inbox
> and unread tags.
>
> Then, if I execute:
>
>   (notmuch-show “thread:{id:20191125214551.31596-1-dkg at fifthhorseman.net}”)
>
> and use your function the list of messages open is limited as I
> expected.
>
> “As I expected” means that if I pass no prefix, all of the messages that
> include patches are open. With a prefix argument of “1”, only the first
> set of patches are open. With a prefix argument of “2”, only the v2
> patches are open.
>
> Did I misunderstand the behaviour that you expect?

No, that's what's meant to happen, so I guess that my steps to reproduce
were not accurate.  As I mentioned, I don't want to spend a lot of time
on this since I think the bug is in ol-notmuch.el.

Regardless, thank you for your interest.

(You may be interested in the latest version of mailscripts which
contains a rewritten notmuch-extract-patch with new features.)

--
Sean Whitton