Notmuch, Emacs and pinentry -- oh my

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Thu Nov 7 13:57:05 PST 2019

Not being quite sure if this is the correct mailing list to ask, here we
go anyway:

Using Emacs as a Notmuch client, I occasionally come across email that
is signed and/or encrypted. I am then prompted to a) decide if I trust
the signator or b) to enter my PGP secret key's password.

Alas, in these cases I can tell that Emacs expects input of me, but it
only uses the bottom most two lines to do so, meaning that I cannot
quite read what is expected of me. Assuming that pinentry is involved, I
tried switching between pinentry-curses and pinentry-tty in my shell
profile, but the result is unreadable in both cases. If I use commands
like "pgp -d ..." in the shell, both pinentry variants work fine (in the
case of curse, the prompt is smack in the middle of my terminal window,
as expected).

I have enabled 'allow-emacs-pinentry' in my gpg.conf, but that does not
resolve the issue either, so I would be grateful for advice. Thanks.

-Ralph