segfault using python bindings

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu Aug 15 02:53:21 PDT 2019

On Wed 14 Aug 2019 at 16:20 -0300, David Bremner wrote:

> Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> writes:
>
>> These are at https://github.com/flub/notmuch/tree/cffi/bindings/python-cffi
>>
>> I'm not really convinced of the way forward last time it was discussed
>> on how to get them merged into notmuch itself so have failed to put in
>> the not insignificant effort.
>>
>> I've since wondered if just getting them standalone on pypi is perhaps a
>> useful service in the mean time as it's relatively little effort.  And
>> if there eventually is a desire again to get them merged in some way
>> that could still be done.
>
> Can you remind me what the percieved blockers are for merging into the
> main notmuch tree? I'm less hung up on python2 compatibility than I used
> to be, fwiw. I'd be ok with shipping the old python2 bindings in contrib
> for a bit for those who still need/want them, but concentrate our
> maintenance effort on the cffi bindings.

IIRC it was mostly about how to support transitioning from one API to
the other since currently there's no compatibility.  I guess there's
nothing stopping one from using both APIs in one codebase though, AFAIK
Xapian handles the required locking.  But some of the discussions
suggested being able to create a new Message object from an old one etc,
allowing you to do more mixing during a transition period.  This is the
part that I said is possible but a lot of work and questionable if no
one thought they'd be using it.

Cheers,
Floris