IMAP with server deletion

Chris Coutinho chrisbcoutinho at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 06:30:12 PDT 2019

Offlineimap has a 'sync_deletes' flag that defaults to 'yes' in both your
local and remote repositories. You can elect to delete locally and keep
remote, or delete remotely and keep locally.

See the short comment in the offlineimap configuration file on github:

https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/blob/06ed00a2112f27dc7fc81a2444eb7f5afde062e1/offlineimap.conf

One point that is not clear is how to flag a message locally to be deleted
on the remote, without deleting the message locally. What you probably want
to do is delete your messages using the GMail UI using a browser.

Remember to make a backup!