BUG: "notmuch insert" fails with "Delivery of non-mail file"

Alvaro Herrera alvherre at alvh.no-ip.org
Thu Mar 7 14:03:55 PST 2019

On 2019-Mar-07, David Bremner wrote:

> "Leo L. Schwab" <ewhac at ewhac.org> writes:
>
> > 	As a result, I've been thinking how this might be addressed.  The
> > thought I've had is to create a new option to motmuch-insert that
> > essentially means, "Skip all validation, just index and deliver."  In other
> > words, the input is presumed to have already been validated by an external
> > entity, so assume it's good and index and deliver it.  '--keep' effectively
> > does this already, but it quashes *all* errors.  I just want to skip the
> > validator.
>
> If you move your database out of the way and run notmuch-new, are the
> messages delivered by your modified notmuch-insert?  I think that's a
> property I'd require for anything we were going to carry upstream.
>
> Also, I'm not sure about turning off _all_ validation vs. just not
> checking for mboxes.

By the way, did you not have a problem with message
id:878szcwd8c.fsf at swing.csc.kth.se delivered to this very list?  That
one includes an unescaped "^From " line in the body, which is sure to
confuse the message parser ...

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°50'S 73°21'W
"Ah, spring... when a young penguin's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of ...