How to show embedded images in HTML emails?

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Feb 27 01:50:35 PST 2019

On Tuesday, 2019-02-26 at 15:49:10 -07, yangsheng6810 wrote:

> I am a new comer to notmuch switching from mu4e. Most of notmuch feels really
> great, until I tried to open some HTML emails with images in it. I tried
> different setting of =mm-text-html-renderer=, the best I got was with
> gnus-w3m which shows images but not at the correct location. (I send and
> receive emails with rendered equations and positioning of these rendered
> images is crucial) After removing =copiousoutput= from mailcap of text/html,
> I managed to make notmuch-view-part work and open it in an external browser.
>
> It works well if the images are just links. However, for embedded images
> (cid images), none is showing. It seems the images are not exported
> correctly. Is there any way to show these embedded images?

My experience is that `shr' works best as an HTML renderer for notmuch,
but that may depend on which version of emacs (and notmuch) you are
using.

cid images in simple text/html messages work fine for me.

In multipart/alternative messages where text/html is not the default
rendered part (i.e. you have to press a part header to see it) I recall
that there were problems, but I don't use that very much.

Can you share one of the messages in question?

dme.
--
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be.