BUG: "notmuch insert" fails with "Delivery of non-mail file"

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Feb 1 11:33:32 PST 2019

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre at alvh.no-ip.org> writes:

> I'm not sure I follow.  As I understand, notmuch does not work with
> mboxes, only with maildirs, so the behavior of splitting emails at "From
> " is not strictly necessary, since one file always equals one message.

Checking for mboxes was added as a safety feature since people found
indexing large mboxes led to bad results (bloated index, crashing
indexer, etc...).

> On the other hand, in my world, it's been quite a while since 'From '
> was considered a useful message separator.  This stopped being true in a
> pretty extensive way when git-format-patches messages started being
> posted as attachments.

Sure. Things on disk should either be mboxes, or not. If they start with
'From ', they are mboxes.  We attempted to take away support for single
message mboxes, but people complained even more about  that. So
generally, if tools / users don't want to escape 'From ' after the first
line, the first line should not be 'From '.

My original question was whether notmuch-insert should strip the 'From '
(and presumbly save as a normal header) before delivery.