[FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Markus Weimar markus.weimar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:26:28 PST 2018

Thanks for your reply! I only installed notmuch today, so please take this into account when considering my thoughts.

On Thu, 2018-11-22 13:33:06 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> My first instinct would be to leave new as is, but change reindex to pay
> attention to some ignore parameter.

´new´ already removes messages from the index if the files are gone. Removing those but keeping newly ignored messages seems inconsistent to me and it did confuse me.

Why would I ever want to keep an ignored email in the index? In regard to indexing, I don’t see much of a difference between deleted and ignored. I don’t want search results for either.

I’d guess setting up notmuch and creating a ´notmuch new´ cronjob is not that uncommon. If a user later adds ignores, they are likely to run into this issue. If the indexing followed the config by purging anything ignored, this would “just work.”

Best wishes,
Markus