[FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Nov 22 12:49:56 PST 2018

Markus Weimar <markus.weimar at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your reply! I only installed notmuch today, so please take this into account when considering my thoughts.
>
> On Thu, 2018-11-22 13:33:06 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> My first instinct would be to leave new as is, but change reindex to pay
>> attention to some ignore parameter.
>
> ´new´ already removes messages from the index if the files are
> gone. Removing those but keeping newly ignored messages seems
> inconsistent to me and it did confuse me.

Notmuch new works very hard to not visit files that haven't
changed. Changing this would have a big negative performance impact, afaik.

I care less about the performance of reindex; also it already
rescans all the relevant messages, so I guess the performance impact
would not be that bad.

Sometimes it's worth giving up performance for more intuitive behaviour,
but most people seem to manage with the current behaviour.