Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:

Tomas Nordin tomasn at posteo.net
Thu Dec 21 13:20:33 PST 2017

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On Thu 2017-12-21 15:07:32 +0100, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> Alex Abdo <alex at alexabdo.com> writes:
>>> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
>>> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
>>> when composing messages in Emacs.
>>>
>>> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
>>> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.
>>
>> The reason is maybe that this place don't often vary much. But there is
>> a configuration variable for this, notmuch-fcc-dirs, which see. Put
>> point in the beginning of the variable name here and say C-h v.
>>
>> I have it set like this:
>>
>> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs
>>       '(("tomasn at kth\\.se" . "kth/Sent")
>>         ("tom\\(asn\\|nor\\)@posteo\\.\\(net\\|de\\)" . "posteo/Sent")))
>>
>> A list of (regex . folder), and depending on the address I am sending
>> from I get a copy in the specified folder. I would probably find it
>> annoying if I had to write it each time, even with tab completion.
>
> I don't think Alex is asking about tab completion of nomtuch-fcc-dirs
> itself -- he's talking about tab completion during message composition
> of the Fcc: header line.
>
> So that would be the equivalent of tab-completing "kth/Sent" or
> "posteo/Sent" in your examples above, and including in that tab
> completion values from the set of known tags if the user is tabbing
> after having entered a "+" or "-" symbol.

I think that was also my understanding and took the risk of not
answering the right question. I just didn't think it is common to store
copies of sent mails in different places, but why not?

The tagging feature here is news for me, I have that done by running a
postsynchook script from offlineimap, (adding a sent tag I mean). So it
means I could have "kth/Sent +sent -inbox" as string for example?