Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 21 09:40:10 PST 2017

On Thu 2017-12-21 15:07:32 +0100, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> Alex Abdo <alex at alexabdo.com> writes:
>> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
>> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
>> when composing messages in Emacs.
>>
>> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
>> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.
>
> The reason is maybe that this place don't often vary much. But there is
> a configuration variable for this, notmuch-fcc-dirs, which see. Put
> point in the beginning of the variable name here and say C-h v.
>
> I have it set like this:
>
> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs
>       '(("tomasn at kth\\.se" . "kth/Sent")
>         ("tom\\(asn\\|nor\\)@posteo\\.\\(net\\|de\\)" . "posteo/Sent")))
>
> A list of (regex . folder), and depending on the address I am sending
> from I get a copy in the specified folder. I would probably find it
> annoying if I had to write it each time, even with tab completion.

I don't think Alex is asking about tab completion of nomtuch-fcc-dirs
itself -- he's talking about tab completion during message composition
of the Fcc: header line.

So that would be the equivalent of tab-completing "kth/Sent" or
"posteo/Sent" in your examples above, and including in that tab
completion values from the set of known tags if the user is tabbing
after having entered a "+" or "-" symbol.

Alex, please correct me if i've confused anything about your feature
request.

   --dkg