bounce/forward not working due to CR at line end

Kai Harries kai.harries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 13:08:06 PST 2017

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> During off-list discussion, Kai mentioned id:87a7zsm5ol.fsf at gmail.com as
> a message that he cannot bounce (and also not forward?). For me this
> forwards fine, but does not bounce because it has a corrupted Cc header,
> and my MTA rejects it.  That doesn't sound related to the original
> problem report (nothing about line endings).

Can you please evaluate the following on your system:

  (call-process "notmuch" nil t nil "show" "--format=raw" "id:87a7zsm5ol.fsf at gmail.com")

If I do this on my system, then the text that is inserted into the
buffer has ^M (CR) at the line endings. Is this expected?

In contrast, if I evaluate the following:

  (require 'subr-x)
  (find-file (string-trim
              (shell-command-to-string "notmuch search --output=files id:87a7zsm5ol.fsf at gmail.com")))

then a buffer with the message is opened but with clean line endings (no ^M).

> I guess we still need a good test case [1], but my best guess is that
> something about Kai's settings. Kai, if you have the source unpacked
> (even if not built), try
>
>       $ ./devel/try-emacs-mua -Q
>
> and see if the problem is duplicated there.

Yes, bounce is also not working in this mode. I only evaluated

  (setq message-send-mail-function (lambda () t))
  (notmuch-hello)

from the startup page (I have not loaded my ~/.emacs). But still the
bounce fails with:

  Search failed: "

  "

as message in the minibuffer.