web interface to notmuch

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 07:43:54 PDT 2017

Hello all. A little side project at work involves me trying to put together
part of a knowledge share system where users can query and search email
stored and indexed centrally (by offlineimap & notmuch). My intention is to
provide a means to support multiple concurrent read-only accesses to the
notmuch database from users' web browsers so they can query and search mail.

Consider a few different email addresses being plugged into various
systems, all receiving email on different topics. I'd like to build an
application which presents a web frontend which I can run on the server
which fetches and indexes the mail, and thus present a web interface to
search all mail using notmuch.

notmuch-web has not seen much development for a few years.
noservice looks pretty nifty but I'm a little unsure of the status and if
it's missing anything fundamental.

I think my requirements are pretty basic:

* Read-only access
* Search and display mail only (no sending), including html mails
* Freeform entry of search terms in accordance with notmuch-search-terms(7).

Would anybody have any ideas about the best way to undertake such a project?

notmuch-web and noservice definitively look like they could be leveraged,
but I don't know if I'd be better trying to construct something from the
ground up which is better suited / tailored to my requirements (which are
much less than either of the above were intended to fulfil).

A standalone app would be preferred rather than having to rely on a web
server, although I'm not picky about infrastructure. Web based programming
is not my forte so I'd appreciate any feedback relating also to
implementation, currently available open source web frameworks which could
be used / considered / leveraged, etc.

Many thanks,
--  Matt