maildir and nmh/mh

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Jul 6 12:03:57 PDT 2017

Lauren Weinstein <lauren at vortex.com> writes:

> I'll have to see what I can dig out, but it's not immediately clear
> that I can separate out individual folders that will trigger the problems.
>
> But this does suggest another possibility. Assuming notmuch is
> actually accurately indexing the two massive mh hierarchies, is there
> some other simple front end I could use for the (occasional) searches
> I'd like to do on the mh mail archive? Mutt is working fine for the
> more recent maildir messages. If I need to keep the mh messages
> separate (e.g., under some other username and a separate notmuch db)
> and use a different front end to search and view them, that will work.
> I won't need this every day! In fact, keeping the mh messages separate
> from the maildir messages is probably good for other reasons. Thanks.

There are a few possibilities (see [1] for a more complete list),
depending on what sort of front end you are looking for.

- There's a command line interface accessible via "notmuch"

- There's an emacs interface (which is probably the most used by the
  notmuch developers)

- There's alot, which is a curses based front end

- There's astroid which is a gtk based front end.

- There's the already mentioned neomutt (which might work somehow in a
  secondary account, or something).

[1]: https://notmuchmail.org/frontends/