Flat search and threaded views

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at thregr.org
Thu Aug 4 08:39:15 PDT 2016

Hi everyone, I'm experimenting with notmuch-emacs.el (straight from
git), and I have a few questions after a few days of testing.

The search buffer packs messages in threads by default. Is there a way
to have a flat list of strictly matching messages when needed?

For example, for a query like "tag:unread AND date:24h..now", I'm shown
all threads containing unread messages within the last day, which is
perfect. But when I select a thread (with RET), I'm shown the thread
from the start.

I'd like to jump directly to the first unread message (and in detail, to
the first message that actually matches the query!). It's really not
great to have to find what message matched the query, especially for
long-running threads.

Another odd behavior I get as a result is that you obviously need to
select the unread message explicitly to remove the unread tag. Applying
tags to _individual_ messages is similarly weird, as you cannot do that
from the search view (they would apply to the entire thread). Maybe I'm
missing a better way here.

Tree view is only marginally better in both scenarios.

You can start a tree search with 'z', but is there a way to make
searches from the notmuch-hello box into tree by default?

Is there a way to sort the search (either tree/search) by subject or
by author? Rarely useful, but it doesn't seem possible.