ask notmuch to find back "reply-to's"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jul 3 06:28:29 PDT 2016

On Sat 2016-07-02 20:28:41 -0400, Xu Wang wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a situation where sometimes I sync a later message. For
> example, the following happens on times:
>
> 1a. sync message 1.
> 1b. not much new
> 2a. sync message 3 (which replied to message 2)
> 2b. not much new
> 3. sync message 2 (which replied to message 1)
> 3b. not much new
>
> This happens because of my workflow of offlineimap. It takes a long
> time to sync some folders so often I prefer to skip, but sometimes
> they contain replies.

on most systems, assuming standard headers, notmuch should indeed
assemble these into the same thread.

the relevant headers are In-Reply-To and References.

Can you show those headers for this example?  If they have these message-IDs:

 message 1: XXX
 message 2: YYY
 message 3: ZZZ

then i'd expect the following headers:

 message 1:

If notmuch has indexed them all, they should all be part of the same
thread.

        --dkg