ask notmuch to find back "reply-to's"

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 17:28:41 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I have a situation where sometimes I sync a later message. For
example, the following happens on times:

1a. sync message 1.
1b. not much new
2a. sync message 3 (which replied to message 2)
2b. not much new
3. sync message 2 (which replied to message 1)
3b. not much new

This happens because of my workflow of offlineimap. It takes a long
time to sync some folders so often I prefer to skip, but sometimes
they contain replies.

When I do that, notmuch does not correctly construct the linkages. I
think this is understandable and I blame my workflow more than
notmuch. notmuch wants to be as fast as possible so when it processes
message 2 in step 3b, it does not check message 3 because it already
checked message 3 in 2b so I think it skips it. Do I have correct
understanding of the situation?

Is there a config setting that I can put to ask notmuch to look both
ways (even at cost of spending more time)? i.e. I want notmuch in step
3b to search through all previous messages to see if they replied to
it.

Kind regards,

Xu