Converting attachments to text or html

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Jun 25 02:58:53 PDT 2016

Bart Bunting <bart.bunting at ursys.com.au> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I often receive email with word or pdf attachments.
>
> I'm blind and use emacspeak on a mac.  Whilst it is possible to save the
> attachment, use unoconv or similar to convert to text or html the
> process is tedious as it means leaving notmuch and executing several commands.
>
> Is there any functionality in notmuch where I can have it preprocess
> attachments of a given mime type or filename regexp or similar pass to
> an external command and display the resulting text.
>
> I'd be happy if either the entire part was replaced with the text or an
> additional part added or anything at all really that made it unnecessary
> to leave notmuch to view the content of the attachment.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions?

Hi Bart;

Something like you want should be possible, but it might require a bit
of elisp programming. One thing that you can do now is use the '.' key
on a part button to get some options to deal with the attachment from
within notmuch. '. ?' should give you a popup text window with the
options.  I guess something like making a script and invoking it with
'. o' should work.

I hope this helps,

David