notmuch 0.22 release timetable

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Apr 16 05:20:34 PDT 2016

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Hi Gang;
>
> It's been a while, and there's a few non-critical, but nice to have
> fixes in master that are not in 0.21. We have several new features in
> progress (indexing encrypted mail, named queries, to name two), that
> will have to wait for the next release. As usual I'm happy to merge
> things to master during the freeze, so don't let the freeze discourage
> you from working on new stuff.
>
> I propose a feature freeze April 8, and a release on April 15.

OK, so we're about a week behind. I have just merged master to release,
and tagged (and uploaded to debian experimental) a snapshot of 0.22.

Now is time to write NEWS entries, and maybe small doc fixes. Below is a
lightly filtered output from git-shortlog.  Please consider sending
patches for NEWS for any "interesting" user visible changes.

Daniel Kahn Gillmor (11):
      python: add notmuch.Database.status_string()
      python: fix argument for filenames_destroy
      notmuch.Database.remove_message should raise exception on failure
      fix thread breakage via ghost-on-removal
      On deletion, replace with ghost when other active messages in thread
      complete ghost-on-removal-when-shared-thread-exists

Daniel Schoepe (2):
      cli: Allow combining --remove-all and --batch
      test: Tests for combining --batch and --remove-all

David Bremner (29):
      emacs: replace use of notmuch-address-message-insinuate
      tests: add test for case insensitive Content-Disposition
      nmbug: ignore # comments
      CLI: add print_status_database
      cli/new: add better error messages for FILE_ERROR
      configure: autodetect xapian-1.3
      test/atomicity: guard chert-only optimization
      configure: add test for default xapian backend
      test: cope with glass backend file naming variations
      test: add test-binary to print the number of ghost messages

David Edmondson (16):
      emacs: Report a lack of matches when calling `notmuch-show'.
      emacs/show: Re-arrange determination if a part header is necessary
      emacs/show: Make the insertion of part headers overridable.
      emacs/show: Accommodate the lack of part header buttons
      emacs/mua: Generate improved cited text for replies
      emacs/show: Remove the 'no-buttons option of `notmuch-show-insert-bodypart'
      emacs/mua: Let user specify which parts get a header in citations.
      emacs: Improve crypto button labels.
      emacs: Add `notmuch-show-forward-open-messages'.
      emacs: `notmuch-show-forward-message' can use `notmuch-mua-new-forward-messages'
      emacs: `notmuch-show-insert-part-multipart/encrypted' should not assume the presence of a button.
      emacs: Improve the acquisition of text parts.
      emacs: Allow part preferences to depend on message content.
      emacs: Always insert crypto buttons.

H. J. Illikainen (1):
      emacs: Fontify From with message-header-other

Jameson Graef Rollins (1):
      debian: Recommend gpgsm for S/MIME support

Jani Nikula (12):
      lib: content disposition values are not case-sensitive
      cli: content disposition values are not case-sensitive
      crypto: refactor context creation to facilitate further work
      crypto: make crypto ctx initialization an array
      cli: let the user know which protocol is unknown or unsupported
      cli: fix function name in notmuch new debug logging
      cli: crypto: S/MIME verification support
      emacs: hello: promote '?' as the universal help key
      test: test one character long directory names at top level
      lib: fix handling of one character long directory names at top level

Justus Winter (6):
      python: add missing import
      python: add new errors
      python: update bindings for the new query search API
      python: Remove {Filenames,Threads}.__len__
      python: cleanup imports

Mark Walters (4):
      emacs: hello: fix accidental modification of widget-keymap
      emacs: poll: return useful errors when poll fails.

Michal Sojka (11):
      Emacs: Add address completion mechanism implemented in elisp
      Emacs: Add address completion based on company-mode
      emacs: Make notmuch-message-mode play nicely with flyspell
      emacs: Improve notmuch-message-mode initialization
      emacs: Fix mail composition under Emacs 23
      emacs: Refactor notmuch-mua-mail
      emacs: Handle switch-function argument of notmuch-mua-mail
      emacs: Don't use nconc on quoted list

Nicolas Petton (1):
      emacs: Change the default notmuch-mua-reply-insert-header-p-function

Steven Allen (2):
      forbid atomic transactions on writable, upgradable databases

Tomi Ollila (9):
      emacs: notmuch-show-view-raw-message clears buffer, makes it read-onl
      devel/emacs: add devel/try-emacs-mua
      lib: NOTMUCH_DEPRECATED macro also for older compilers
      test/test-lib.el: revert setting notmuch-mua-reply-insert-header-p-function

aeuii at posteo.de (1):
      emacs: make use of `message-make-from'