Breaking a really long thread

Eric eric at deptj.eu
Mon Apr 4 04:07:45 PDT 2016

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 06:56:12 -0700, David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:
>
>> David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Is there any way to break an existing thread (so as to start over with a
>>> smaller thread), or otherwise to tweak the threading rules so that a
>>> particular References header gets ignored.
>>
>> Currently there is no way to do this, as threads are "stateless"
>> i.e. created on the fly by _notmuch_create_thread based only on
>> immutable mail data.
>
> Thanks.
>
>>> It's annoyingly slow to open
>>> a thread with 10,000 messages just to read one SMS.  I'm almost tempted
>>> to mangle the messages on delivery and remove the References header
>>> before notmuch sees them, but it would be nice to have a cleaner
>>> solution, as there are other situations in which one might want to
>>> "reset" a really long thread.
>>
>> Like this thread ;).
>
> Oops, sorry for the irrelevant thread inclusion.  I guess emacs adds the
> References header after a message is sent is sent?  In my setup, the
> easiest way to post to a mailing list is to reply to an existing message
> (since I subscribe to each list under a different email address).  I
> tried to start a new thread by deleting the In-Reply-To and header which
> was all I saw, but I guess the References header got inserted later...

Neither notmuch emacs nor any other email client has any business
inserting a References header after the user "presses Send". On a new
message it shouldn't exist unless inserted manually, and on a reply it
should come from the replied-to message (and be changed) before you start
"replying". More likely that (if you didn't miss it) it was not shown
to you although it existed - that would count as a bug in my opinion
(I don't use emacs for anything, not even notmuch).

Actually the message you replied to has no References header, but notmuch
reply (command line) to it generates both References and In-Reply-To
(same content). I assume notmuch emacs does the same. I don't believe
that References should be generated in this situation, its only use
would be by a threading algorithm that doesn't use In-Reply-To, and I
would consider that a bug in said algorithm.

Actually I think there should be a "reply as new" option which uses
the other message but does not add either In-Reply-To or References
(and does not carry the latter forward if it exists).

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry