Breaking a really long thread

David Mazieres dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 2 06:56:12 PDT 2016

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to break an existing thread (so as to start over with a
>> smaller thread), or otherwise to tweak the threading rules so that a
>> particular References header gets ignored.
>
> Currently there is no way to do this, as threads are "stateless"
> i.e. created on the fly by _notmuch_create_thread based only on
> immutable mail data.

Thanks.

>> It's annoyingly slow to open
>> a thread with 10,000 messages just to read one SMS.  I'm almost tempted
>> to mangle the messages on delivery and remove the References header
>> before notmuch sees them, but it would be nice to have a cleaner
>> solution, as there are other situations in which one might want to
>> "reset" a really long thread.
>
> Like this thread ;).

Oops, sorry for the irrelevant thread inclusion.  I guess emacs adds the
References header after a message is sent is sent?  In my setup, the
easiest way to post to a mailing list is to reply to an existing message
(since I subscribe to each list under a different email address).  I
tried to start a new thread by deleting the In-Reply-To and header which
was all I saw, but I guess the References header got inserted later...

David