BUG: trouble with forwarding with accents

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Sat Feb 6 13:20:49 PST 2016

On 2016-02-06 12:14:57, David Edmondson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05 2016, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> So I have an accent in my family name, as you can see from the From
>> header here. This has a tendency of finding the greatest and finest
>> UTF-8 bug, and often no one believes me because they don't have that
>> interesting property.
>>
>> Notmuch has been bugging me with such a problem for ages now. When I
>> forward a mail, the accents in my name (or in the signature inserted)
>> are broken.
>
> I tried to reproduce this (by modifying my name in .notmuch-config to
> include an accented character and then forwarding your mail), but
> everything worked fine (on "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.0.0,
> NS apple-appkit-1404.11) of 2015-10-05 on heart-of-gold").
>
> It's tempting to ask whether or not you have any localisation or
> language settings in either your shell or emacs, but I probably wouldn't
> know how to interpret them even if so :-/

I have a french utf-8 locale:

[997]anarcat at angela:~1$ locale
LANG=fr_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

In a terminal and in emacs.

I am not sure if i have any emacs-specific l10n settings.

a.
--
"Faith" means not wanting to know what is true.
                         - Friedrich Nietzshe