using gpg with notmuch

Austin Guest guest.austin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 13:45:06 PST 2016

Thank you David!

Using `setq` cleared things up. Should have caught that. Is there any way
to contribute a patch to the docs (which omit `setq`) to help other n00bs
along the way avoid the same pitfall?

Also: I'd like to get version parity between my version of notmuch and my
version of notmuch-emacs, but am not quite sure how to build form source as
you suggest. (Tried poking around the docs and couldn't turn anything up.)
Any pointers?

When you say the frontend "ships with the C source" what does that mean? Or
perhaps more to the point: how can I find and use the C source to build the
binary? Once built, how can I make sure the new version is what I run from
Emacs since I'm currently running the version from Melpa, etc...?

Thank you in advance for your patience. I really appreciate the help! Not
to mention the fantastic program! :)

/a/

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:

> Austin Guest <guest.austin at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi there. Bit of a n00b to notmuch and having some problems using it
> > alongside gnupg to decrypt emails in Emacs.
> >
> > I'm running Emacs 24.5.1 on Ubuntu 15.10 (x86_64) with notmuch v 0.20.2
> and
> > the emacs notmuch package 20160108.432 from melpa (but have had identical
> > results with v 0.21 from melpa-stable).
>
> The emacs frontend for notmuch ships with the C source. You should use
> matching versions. Other versions _might_ work, but are not guaranteed
> to. MELPA is kindof unuseful for things like notmuch that need C
> libraries; it's easy to get badly out of sync.

Will try building from source. Any pointers

Is there a way to contribute a patch to the docs?

--
Austin Guest
guest.austin at gmail.com
@aguestuser <http://twitter.com/aguestuser>