notmuch-lazysync -- synchronizing tags using dropbox

David Mazieres dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 21 17:16:05 PDT 2015

Daniel Schoepe <daniel at schoepe.org> writes:

> The way tag changes are logged is a bit of a hack, but it could be
> improved in the future by adding a post-tag hook to notmuch.

One thing to look into, if you are thinking of a better logging
mechanism, is that Xapian itself has a change logging mechanism for
replicating databases (http://xapian.org/docs/replication.html).

I do think it would be cleaner to do this in a way that is integrated
with notmuch, but I think the best way to do this is to integrate a
"modtime" value into the Xapian database.  Having a modtime for each
record would not only allow incremental transfers (just record the
highest timestamp sent to each replica), it would also solve this
terrible problem that in emacs you can end up tagging messages you don't
see (because you apply a tag to the query result, when new mail has come
in--which would be solved by tagging only through the higest modtime
actually displayed).

When you have one mechanism (modtime) that solves multiple problems, it
is likely the right thing to use...

David