notmuch-lazysync -- synchronizing tags using dropbox

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Tue Jul 21 11:41:51 PDT 2015

Hi,

I needed a way to synchronize notmuch tags between machines without
having to sync all my mail as well (à la muchsync) and without using
Gmail labels for this. As a result, I ended up writing a small tool to
do this by using normal file synchronizers like seafile[1] or dropbox to
do the actual synchronization (since I was too lazy to (re)implement
this).

Since it's impractical to have the entire notmuch database synchronized
through dropbox, the tool uses a small sqlite database to record tag
commands performed on one machine and replay them on the others. This
works well if mail sorting is done on each machine separately and only
tag modifications performed in the frontend need to be recorded. The way
tag changes are logged is a bit of a hack, but it could be improved in
the future by adding a post-tag hook to notmuch.

More information can be found on github:

https://github.com/dschoepe/notmuch-lazysync

I hope someone else finds this useful as well.

Best regards,
Daniel

[1] https://www.seafile.com/en/home/