notmuch release 0.20.2 now available

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:40:18 PDT 2015

Hi David,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 09:34:36AM +0200, David Bremner wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 07:24:28AM +0200, David Bremner wrote:
> >>
> >> Where to obtain notmuch 0.20.2
> >> ===========================
> >>   http://notmuchmail.org/releases/notmuch-0.20.2.tar.gz
> >
> > I took a quick pass at building the release for Fedora.  The ruby
> > bindings seem to fail to build (actually linking fails).
> >

> The ruby bindings are not built automatically by 0.20.2.  You seem to be
> building a snapshot of master. If you want to build the release from
> git, use the signed tag.

Yes, I was aware.  I tried again with proper 0.20.2.  And everything
succeeds.  So I guess something with master.  I usually build master in
that repo, I guess I'll stick to the release for now.

> The question of why master won't build for you is also interesting, but
> a different question. A quick search reveals packages of notmuch 0.19
> ruby bindings seemingly for fc22
>
>      https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ruby-notmuch/contents
>
> So I guess have a look and see what existing fedora packaging does.

Yes, I have looked at what the official packages[1] do, I do exactly the
same[2].  Essentially the spec file does the following:

  pushd bindings/ruby
      ruby extconf.rb --vendor --with-cflags="%{optflags}"
      make %{?_smp_mflags}
  popd

where, _smp_mflags is -jN, and optflags is options for gcc.  If you need
the specific flags, I can try to look it up.

> At the moment the only way to disable the ruby bindings (other than
> hacking the build system) is not to have the ruby development files in
> the build env. This may change by the time this is part of a release.

Since everything is built in a chroot, I have control over the build
environment via the spec file.  If need be, I can disable it.  However
it would be interesting to know why master fails.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/notmuch.git/tree/notmuch.spec#n137